Tyre talk: staying safe on the road
The first of October means the start of this year’s Tyre Safety Month, a whole month dedicated to encouraging drivers to make regular tyre care a key part of their routine.
UK charity TyreSafe
will be campaigning all through the month to underline the importance of checking your tyres, and #TeamArbury are supporting this important cause by giving you the ultimate guide for looking after your tyres.
As the leaves continue to fall and the weather cools, it’s more important than ever that you’re prepared for the potential hazards of autumnal driving. More than wet weather, you’ll likely also face misty mornings, slippery leaves on the road, and possibly strong winds. Going into these conditions with unchecked tyres can be dangerous not just for you, but for your fellow road users, too.
So, before you set out, ask yourself: are your tyres ready for ACTion?
A: Air pressure
Tyres that are fully inflated not only last longer, but they’re also more receptive to steering, offer a smoother ride and are even more fuel efficient. Deflated tyres on the other hand are more susceptible to damage, increase the risk of an accident, and can bring you a fine if spotted. The good news is, checking your pressure is quick and simple!
1. Start with cold tyres (parked for three hours or more).
2. Look up the correct pressure rating for your car – you’ll find this either in your manual, on the inside ledge of the driver’s door, or inside the fuel cap.
3. Unscrew your tyre’s valve caps.
4. Press your tyre gauge onto a valve until you hear a hiss of air.
5. Your gauge will then give you a reading.
6. Repeat with all four tyres and adjust air levels if necessary!
The slightest flaw in your tyres can lead to nasty consequences, so it’s important to complete a quick visual check of all four wheels before setting off on your journey. You’ll be looking out for any cracks or bulges in the rubber’s surface, along with any large stones or other debris caught in the tread. If you spot anything out of the ordinary, don’t wait – book your car in at your nearest Arbury location
and we’ll be happy to perform a check for you. We also offer a Wheel Alignment Check to ensure your wheels meet manufacturer’s specifications for safe operation – just ask a member of our team to get booked in!
Find out more about our Tyre Price Match Guarantee.
Your tyres are the only point of contact between your car and the road, making it vital that they provide optimum grip in all conditions. The legal minimum tread depth for tyres is 1.6mm – handily, the same thickness as the border on a 20p piece! We recommend checking your tread depth regularly (every two weeks, or every time you get fuel) by:
1. Make sure your ignition is off and handbrake is on.
2. Turn your steering wheel to the full lock position for the best view of all four tyres.
3. Place a 20p piece (or tread gauge if you have one) between the tyre tread grooves.
4. If you can’t see the border of the 20p, then your tyres are legal. If you can, your tyres need replacing immediately.
5. Repeat for all four tyres.
Don’t leave anything to chance! If you have any questions about checking your tyres, or think you need new ones, don’t hesitate to contact #TeamArbury – we’re here to help.